Friday, May 9, 2008

Vitamin D

So, I've been feeling really lethargic, tired, unhappy, blah, for the past few months and now that I have fancy new health insurance, I decided to see the doctor about it. She suggested a blood test among other things and it turns out my vitamin D levels are really low. Hmm, well given that we live in Gloomtown USA for the winter, I wasn't surprised. My doctor said that they've been giving patients vitamin D for similar symptoms and they're feeling better. So, they gave me a MEGADOSE that I only take once a week, and you know what? I'm starting to feel a little sunshiny & peppy again. Hey, vitamin D: you-make-a-me-feel-so-good! Also, in my research to find out more about the magic little vitamin, I found that there's actually a vitamin D society: www.vitamindsociety.org/


That's amazing. I'm thinking of joining.


If you care to know more about vitamin D, read on. If not stop and look at the glorious picture and leave me a comment.


We get vitamin D from sunlight--naturally, living in a climate where sun exposure is limited, it makes sense that one would be deficient. Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium, helping you to have strong bones. Lack of vitamin D is linked with bone thinning and osteoporosis, but it's also been linked to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and depression. If you think you're vitamin D deficient, you can take a supplement (D3 is most easily absorbed by the body) and load up on vitamin D rich foods, like fortified dairy products and fatty fish. There aren't a lot of Vitamin D rich foods, so a supplement is probably best, but there's always the option of rolling up those sleeves and going outside. Oh, or you can get one of those sunlamps and bask in the light of it. Go vitamin D!

3 comments:

Nicole Kristine said...

That is a GLORIOUS picture. Also, you need to update your blog more often. NKR rules all.

Debbie Ray said...

There is also the Vitamin D Council which has been trying to get the word out about Vitamin D deficiency for a few years now. Great links.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org

Nicole Kristine said...

Blog.